Sunday 15 December 2013

My Final Psych Ward Update

As you may have guessed from the title, I am being discharged from the psych ward soon. In fact, I'm being discharged this Tuesday (17th). It was a bit of a shock to be told last Tuesday (10th) that I would be discharged. My regular psych was off on leave for a few weeks and on the Monday before he came back (2nd), I was told by the psych who was covering him that I could stay in hospital until I got a place of my own. So when my psych came back the week later and told me that I was being discharged, it really did surprise me.

It stressed me out a lot at first, because I had been told that I would stay in hospital until I found a place of my own, rather than going home. I'm sort of getting used to the idea, but I am hoping to get a place of my own quite quickly. Unfortunately, with the bedroom tax in place, there are no places for me to move in to. There are plenty of 2-bedroom flats available, but no 1-bed. I can't afford a 14% drop in housing benefit so it's taking a long time to find a suitable place.

If the bedroom tax wasn't there, I'd be able to get a place of my own in a 2-bed flat but the government seem insistent that the bedroom tax is a good idea. I can understand that single people occupying a 3-bed house whilst a family of four is struggling in a 1-bed flat isn't ideal, but in reality, there aren't many 1-bed flats going. 2 and 3-bed accommodation is readily available; 1-bed isn't.

So I'm getting the boot from the psych ward on Tuesday before I get accommodation of my own. My psych says that he can't justify using a psych bed for me whilst I wait for a place of my own so I have no choice about getting kicked out. I'm not sure how things will pan out on discharge, but I'm hopeful that I'll stay out of the psych ward and not get bounced back in.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment